Sonia Beckwith Cole
"... [A] sparse and stunning animated video. Forms move nonlinearly, with compromised gravity; they’re from another dimension, but one you’ve visited in a dream—undeniably fantastical, yet undeniably human." - Amileah Sutliff (Vinylmeplease.com)
Sonia Beckwith Cole is an undergraduate student of digital painting and animation at OCAD University.
Working primarily with Photoshop and After Effects she attempts to blur the distinction between analogue and digital animation traditions by drawing on the strengths of handmade digital brushes, rendered textures and rotoscoped real world footage. Her animations tell personal stories through the fragmented narratives of obscured and painterly digital moving images.
Creative Work Experience
Associate of Arts
A/V and IT support monitor
- providing technical help with audio / visual technology, laptops and equipment
Blame your Brother Animation Studio
2016 - 2017
- Creative collaboration
- Character animation, background painting
- Adobe Animate, Photoshop, Illustrator
Exhibitions / Screenings
- Augmented Cinema Film Festival, Royal Theater, Toronto, ON. Bernice, St. Lucia. Single channel. 3:58.
- Pillow Party - OCAD University, Toronto, ON. Performance / Animation / Installation
- Breaking Medium - Ada Slaight Gallery, Toronto ON. Experiments with Chroma Key Paint. animation / installation.
- Festival of the Body - OCAD University, Toronto ON. Content Aware / Body Aware . mixed media.
- Augmented Cinema Film Festival, Royal Theater, Toronto, ON. The Lion At Home. Stop Motion. 1:18.